Severe Weather Preparedness
Prepare for Severe Weather
Preparedness is important to keep you and your family safe in the event of severe weather or a natural disaster. Visit the links below for tips on how to effectively prepare for any situation.
Tips for Preventing Heat-Related Illness
- Stay cool
- Wear appropriate clothing for the weather
- Stay cool indoors
- Schedule outdoor activities carefully
- Pace yourself
- Wear sunscreen
- Do not leave children in cars
- Avoid hot and heavy meals
- Stay hydrated
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Replace salt and minerals
- Keep your pets hydrated
- Stay informed
- Check your local news for updates
- Know the signs of heat-related illness
- Monitor those at high risk
- Visit the CDC website for additional information
Preparing for a Hurricane or Other Tropical Storm
- Make a plan
- Gather emergency supplies
- Know the difference between a “watch” and a “warning”
- Prepare your vehicle
- Get your family and pets ready
- Get your home ready
- Be prepared to evaluate or stay at home
- Visit the for additional information
Preparing for a Winter Storm
- Make a plan
- Weatherproof your home
- Have your chimney or flue inspected each year
- Install a smoke detector and a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector
- Keep an easy-to-read thermometer inside your home
- Create an emergency car kit
- Listen to weather forecasts, and check your supplies
- Bring your pets indoors
- Get your car ready
- Visit the CDC website and the Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency for additional information
- Learn how to enjoy a safe holiday season on the National Safety Council website
Residents who visit the sites will be able to warm up, eat a meal, and get some rest. The warming stations will be available from 6:00pm until 7:00am.
- Visit Gwinnett County's website for more information
- Who do I call to report a power outage?
To report a power outage, call Phone: 770-963-9834 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm. After 5 pm, call the Emergency / After Hours Number at Phone: 770-339-2410.
Visit Power Outages to view current outages and report an outage.
- How do I report a street light outage?
Call or email Customer Service at Phone: 678-407-6675 between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.